Sales Blog - Adrenaline
By Steven J. Schmidt (5/16/08)
I used to work residentially and commercially for Triple A. This was a very interesting gig because I didn't think that Triple A memberships were lucrative to begin with. However, this enforced that it really doesn't matter what you sell, but rather how you sell both yourself and the product. It does help to have a product or service that helps sell itself though.
I was actually selling residentially with two other colleagues, and we were going every other door. Every time I came out of a house and I saw one of the other sales reps, they had another sale. We were set to leave at 7:30 p.m., when each of us closed seven deals, but we just couldn't.
We stayed until 8:30. We kept pushing each other until I ended with eleven, another had ten, and another had twelve. There was no way that I wanted to lose. Besides earning money, the thing that kept me going was the competition along with the adrenaline kicking in.
Adrenaline is one of the main components when getting into a "flow." One way of course, is by working side by side with another salesperson, as I did. Another way is to give yourself goals and to keep trying to hit them even if that means that you're pushing yourself to the limit. I'm not saying you should drive yourself to the hospital, but rather push yourself so that you stay hungry.
Think of it as if you are playing a sports competition, such as swimming. You're racing other people in a single event and all you want is to beat the five other people swimming against you. Maybe at times you take a peek over and see someone gaining on you, which makes you want to swim harder.
That's exactly how it is when you're out in the field trying to make sales. You have to push as hard as you can to come out on top.
More entries from our Sales Blog section:
- Sales Blog: Home
- Sales Blog: Extreme Sales and Marketing - 7/26/09
- Sales Blog: What to Sell? - 7/9/09
- Sales Blog: Personal Issues - 6/25/09
- Sales Blog: Horrendous Hygiene - 5/27/09
- Sales Blog: Getting Sales Rapidly Through Referrals - 2/11/09
- Sales Blog: Mental Toughness - 1/18/09
- Sales Blog: Lack of Energy - 1/4/09
- Sales Blog: You Never Know - 10/18/08
- Sales Blog: Don't Be Afraid - 9/21/08
- Sales Blog: Take a Break - 8/21/08
- Sales Blog: Working with Customers - 8/13/08
- Sales Blog: Keep Fighting - 7/24/08
- Sales Blog: Don't Sound Desperate - 7/4/08
- Sales Blog: Who's the Boss? - 6/30/08
- Sales Blog: On a Roll - 6/20/08
- Sales Blog: Don't Give Up - 6/11/08
- Sales Blog: On Call - 5/21/08
- Sales Blog: My Product Is The Best - 5/19/08
- Sales Blog: Adrenaline - 5/16/08
- Sales Blog: The Tattle-Tail - 5/12/08
- Sales Blog: The Open-Door Race - 5/12/08