Sales Blog - On a Roll
By Steven J. Schmidt (6/20/08)
As we all know, when you're in sales, you have a lot of independence and freedom. This means that what you put in is what you will get out. If you don't put much time into selling, you obviously cannot expect to get much sales. Conversely, if you dedicate ample time, you can expect to reap the rewards of the effort that you put in, translating into commissions and money in your pocket.
I knew a guy who sold alarm systems business-to-business, and he once told me a great story. He said he was making around $350 for each alarm system that he sold to a business as his commission. He usually sold three to five alarm system per week, which is solid money. One Friday, his entire way of looking at sales completely changed. He sold a pair of alarm systems by noon and he thought about going home and calling it an early day. After he ate lunch, he thought to himself, "You know what? I feel good. Let me try to get a head start for the next week." So, he continued to work and earned another two sales by 3 p.m., bringing his total to four for the day. However, he didn't stop there, and when he finally called it a day at 5 p.m., he finished with five sales. He made $1,750 in one day.
I asked him, "What made you stay out there?" He told me, "I was on such a roll, and I figured, I control my own income; let me take this as far as I can go, especially since I was in such a zone."
He added, "I had so much confidence, it almost didn't matter what the customer said or even what I said. Anything and everything that I said just sounded so good to the customer. I made it seem like the alarm system was something they had to have in order to keep their business safe." And, of course he was right.
Now, to this day, he is averaging eight to 10 sales a week instead of 3-5, just because of that one Friday. Now, whenever he feels like he's "in the zone," he pushes even harder. That lesson right there, goes for anyone in sales, because that day can make up your entire week, or maybe even your month. The more work that you put in, the greater your rewards.
More entries from our Sales Blog section:
- Sales Blog: Home
- Sales Blog: Extreme Sales and Marketing - 7/26/09
- Sales Blog: What to Sell? - 7/9/09
- Sales Blog: Personal Issues - 6/25/09
- Sales Blog: Horrendous Hygiene - 5/27/09
- Sales Blog: Getting Sales Rapidly Through Referrals - 2/11/09
- Sales Blog: Mental Toughness - 1/18/09
- Sales Blog: Lack of Energy - 1/4/09
- Sales Blog: You Never Know - 10/18/08
- Sales Blog: Don't Be Afraid - 9/21/08
- Sales Blog: Take a Break - 8/21/08
- Sales Blog: Working with Customers - 8/13/08
- Sales Blog: Keep Fighting - 7/24/08
- Sales Blog: Don't Sound Desperate - 7/4/08
- Sales Blog: Who's the Boss? - 6/30/08
- Sales Blog: On a Roll - 6/20/08
- Sales Blog: Don't Give Up - 6/11/08
- Sales Blog: On Call - 5/21/08
- Sales Blog: My Product Is The Best - 5/19/08
- Sales Blog: Adrenaline - 5/16/08
- Sales Blog: The Tattle-Tail - 5/12/08
- Sales Blog: The Open-Door Race - 5/12/08